Bobbi’s Journey With Arthrochalasia EDS

To round off EDS Awareness month for 2016 I have my first ever guest post!

This post is by my amazing friend, the lovely Bobbi of Ring Splints by Zomile who has the rare Arthrochalasia Type of EDS. When EDS is covered in the media it’s usually sufferers with my own type which is the most common form of the syndrome.

Arthrochalasia EDS – My Story

13249466_10157066185330226_1204906323_nI’m Bobbi, I have Ehlers-Danlos type 7 – now called Arthrochalasia Type along with associated conditions and rheumatoid arthritis.
There are believed to be only around 40 confirmed cases of arthrochalasia EDS in the world, which I suppose makes me pretty rare!
Ehlers-Danlos is a connective tissue disorder and there are many types all of which share some complications. The severity of the illness can vary greatly from person to person and type to type.
I have known all my life I suffered with this rare syndrome. When I was born My Mum said she knew I would be trouble, how little did she know! I was born breach like a small package; all parcelled up, arms and legs and head folded in like a ready packaged chicken. My Grandma commented that I looked like a Pekingese dog which sounds funny but actually I had a very tiny little face with big eyes and my skin was so loose and wrinkly it was as if I had skin two sizes too big. It was said at first that I was very overdue, but that quickly turned out not to be the case. I just had the cutis laxa type appearance of wrinkly see-through veiny skin all over my body.

I was a non-thriving poorly baby, with very blue whites of my eyes, very lax joints and floppy and it became apparent very quickly that there was something wrong.
My Mum recollects that in the early days they were never told the true and full picture by the doctors, but just snippets. I had a scoliosis and congenital bilateral dislocated hips and clicked in every joint.
At 12 weeks old I was put into a solid frog plaster cast, which was changed every month under general anaesthetic.This was very difficult for my parents, as they had to watch me in pain and having to starve to have the general anaesthetic. It’s funny because when I look at pictures of myself as a baby pre-cast I am gaunt, with dark rings under my eyes and bobbi2looking very ill; after casting I look like a completely different baby. It took 9 months for my hips cast to come off. I walked at 13 months old despite my parents being told that I may never walk and if I did expect it to be very delayed. I defied the odds.
As a baby I was seen by multiple hospital consultants, all had an interest in different parts of my body. From early on and throughout my life I was prodded, poked and stretched to see what I could do. I was extremely bendy and could contort my body in all sorts of positions, I have stiffened up a little but still I am told I am very hypermobile.

As I moved into being a toddler I had a lot of injuries, I was always covered in big black bruises and would dislocate my joints a lot. I also had a lot of nosebleeds and when I fell or hit my body, the slightest tap would cause my skin to split open, resulting in another trip to the hospital. My Mum says I clicked and clunked in every single joint, she could not hold me without my joints slipping out.
Early on my parents were told that I had a syndrome known as the ‘India rubber man’ syndrome, a rather fanciful name for EDS. At that time not much was known about EDS and they were just left to get on with it. Consultants were always very good to me but I never was told the whole picture.  I was always surrounded by trainee doctors wanting to sneak a peek at what EDS looked like. I had photos taken for journals to help educate medical professionals. I spent a lot of time in and out of hospital as a child not only with back, hip, and various other joint issues but also with stomach and kidney problems. I was an extremely sickly child who would not eat for weeks on end, the doctors believed I was internally bleeding and was suffering but couldn’t tell anyone. My parents were, I must add, extremely lucky that the consultants that took care of me knew what was wrong, as I am sure constantly being in A&E with bruises and injuries from head to toe could have posed issues!  I often dislocated vertebrae and went into spinal shock; these were the worst times for pain for me as a child.
Despite being constantly ill with EDS and constant viral infections I was a very lively outgoing little imp. I was tiny weeny as a child, a symptom of my type, so at age 5 I looked like a 2 year old. Arthrochalasic types are very small in stature compared to other types, I am 4′ 8″ now; we are known to have dwarfism type stature. Arthrochalasia type diagnostic criteria takes stature and congenital hip dislocation into consideration when diagnosing, however biopsy for DNA testing is the only true confirmation as other types may be born with dislocated hips.

bobbi1My parents were told to wrap me up in cotton wool as a child but I was so feisty and outgoing that my parents learnt to play it by ear and see how I coped with activities. I believe they did the absolute best for me in this way. They didn’t want me not to experience what others did, and allowed me to decide what I could and couldn’t do for myself. I usually learnt the hard way – bouncing on the trampoline one time only before collapsing in spinal shock. I learnt very quickly pain sometimes was not worth it! I never had the advice not to do contact sports until I was a much older child, and actually my frame despite the injuries made me very good at running and gymnastics in the early days. I soon had to stop! Although I loved disco dancing, as I seemed to be able to move like no other kid, so EDS did have its advantages.
At primary school I missed in total 2.5 years of schooling but I still loved to learn.  I did have a lot of injuries and learnt to pace myself. I had to wear special shoes and insoles to keep my ankles from pronating. But no other splints were available for me, so I would often have crape bandages and tape around my body parts.

Bouts of glandular fever, kidney infections, viral infections, chest infections, hearing loss from infections, meant that I was forever ill and my immune system seemed to take a real battering, my blood results were always out of kilter.
One of the other complications of EDS for me was my very fragile degenerating teeth. They cracked, decayed, and the dentine flaked off, despite my roots being the opposite and calcifying to the bone and other teeth. This caused issues for tooth extraction, every tooth had to be taken out in hospital under General anaesthetic and twice this resulted in a broken jaw, and bone broken through to my sinuses. I couldn’t eat very well as my top jaw never grew which meant there was a 2.5 inch under bite from top jaw to bottom. I was referred to consultant care at my local dental hospital to try and come up with solutions for me. At age 12 after 4 years of braces, treatment of every new procedure and wire known to man, including space station technology, I was given a denture over my teeth to help me, as my teeth roots just would not move. This really helped to stop my face caving in and help me eat. I was ecstatic, although I hated having to wear a denture at the age of 12.

bobbi3Age 11 onwards is where my health declined the most, I started to have heart issues, kidney complications, and I was 10 months home schooled because of months of pyelonephritis. I had a lot of extra internal complications, such as urinary reflux, urgency and retention of urine, mitral valve prolapse/ heart murmur, PoTS, costochondritis, lots of joint issues and pain became a real issue. It was because of collapses and admissions to cardiology departments that it was felt that I should get genetic testing and see a world specialist in Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. There were concerns over bleeding, veins and heart problems and the general look of my skin and vascular complications which were thought to point to vascular type EDS. I saw the consultant several times and biopsies were taken from Mum, Dad and myself. My siblings were also examined and the family were all found to be able to do the complete Beighton scale and were hypermobile. After months we got the news that I had 7a/ Arthrochalasia type EDS, a new recessive form of it too as my Father and Mother both carry a defective recessive gene of which I had inherited a copy from each, lucky me ! So, relief for my family that at last I had a proper name to my condition and all the strange symptoms and complications were due to this.

bobbi4From age 11 to today I have suffered day in day out, I cannot say I have experienced one day pain free or exhaustion free, this sounds a really dramatic thing to say but for me it’s just the case of which is the case for many sufferers of EDS of all types. In my adult hood I continued with terrible bouts of infections, shingles, glandular fevers everything going I caught, complications got worse with, dislocations/subluxations, pneumonias, asthma, scarred lungs, PoTS flare ups, kidney problems, heart problems, stomach ulcers, severe allergies/ mast cell issues, stomach complications, menstruation problems, teratoma ovarian cyst, countless knee and abdominal operations to name but a few.
At 23 after spending 3 years at university and working I became very ill and bedridden.  I believe at this time the autonomic dysfunction part of EDS became worse, little was known in the 80’s/90’s about such complications. Overnight I had a horrific migraine type headache with numbness down the side of my body and in the morning I could not walk, had changed sensation in limbs, my brain seemed to not send the correct messages to my body, and it was quite shocking. I got many opinions over the years on what was happening to me, from fibromyalgia, to M.E. to CFS to autonomic dysfunction of some kind. To me it really didn’t matter what the name or diagnosis was, whether it was as they believed part of my EDS or not, I just knew I was very ill and needed treatment. I could not feed myself, lift a cup, sit up for longer than five minutes at a time without being dizzy, falling asleep and generally feeling so dreadful, I vomited five or more times a day and would look a beautiful colour of green.
My joints and dislocations were worse as was my memory and coordination. All my systems seemed to say I’ve had enough, and so at 23 I was totally reliant, wheelchair dependent and bed-bound. It took 8 years to manage to build up with small /tiny bits of physio and rehabilitation. I had become very weak and had muscle hypotonia. Everything was five times harder to do!
With EDS our bodies have to work harder to do the normal things people take for granted, like standing and walking. Daily chores make you exhausted and cause severe fatigue, along with joints that never do as they are told. I suffer with spasms and twitches, falling and stumbling which is due to dysautonomia. I did manage at 30 with a lot of determination to be able to get back to work; I would have liked to have done something with my degree but just working part time again gave me such pride and made me feel like I wasn’t a drain. I always felt awful having to claim benefits even though I didn’t have a choice. I hated this time of being bedridden, being totally dependent on others. I still stayed positive and kept myself as cheerful as possible and used art to help me keep motivated.
Once I started work even though I was fitter physically the illness and complications carried on. I think I learnt to cope well with the constant agonizing pain EDS causes and just try and focus on positive things. For me I feel lucky, this seems a really bizarre thing to say after writing some of what my illness has caused. But yes, every year I seem to pick up a new diagnosis. With gastroparesis and worsening autonomic dysfunction, neurological complications from Chiari malformation and now rheumatoid arthritis; but because this has been a gradual process of adding illness after illness I don’t see the whole picture. I just cope one day at a time, work hard and try and enjoy my life as much as I can.

Staying positive is so important to me, when people say to me, wow you have been through a lot I always tell them ‘ I have excellent eyesight 20/20 vision, not everything is bad’, and laugh.
I have learnt to pace myself, bracing and acupuncture and the right medications for my complications has allowed me to keep working part time as a lecturer, of which I’m so proud and grateful. My body at times gives up on me. I do have a very good team of doctors looking after me and I am for the first time in a place where I can be me, accept what I have fully and know whatever happens to me I can get through it. I have learnt I need to take it a little bit easier, after breaking my back, tearing discs and breaking multiple bones in my foot and needing fusion. Osteopenia and osteoporosis can be a complication of Arthrochalasia type it turns out.
People are always telling me how stoic I am. I put that down to having amazing parents who taught me to cope, whatever. EDS is very hard to live with because its complications are wide and varied and can stop you in your tracks, but I have found a lot of EDS sufferers have the ability to be very resilient despite it all and live a good life.

I wish for the future that doctors, schools and medical professionals will take time to understand the condition and realise it is not just about being bendy/hypermobile, doing tricks and having stretchy skin. It is actually a serious syndrome that can cause the sufferer to be completely debilitated and should be taken seriously.  It is difficult because people with EDS usually look completely normal, there are signs if you look for them but it takes a keen eye!

13906_10152321143600028_1094128482871543432_nIf you have EDS or rheumatoid arthritis do check out Bobbi’s site Ring Splints By Zomile.

I often get asked where I got my rings from even by non-EDSers as they look quite trendy!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this guest post and learned something new about EDS this May Awareness Month. sig

Do let me know your thoughts!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.